Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Late spring chaos

Hello, blogosphere.  Sorry I've been absent of late.  I still really like you and all - I'm just really busy these days.

I know, I know, I'm the one who volunteered to give a precepting workshop to kick start some faculty development around here.  And, yes, I'm the one who said "okay" when they asked for two nights to give all of the faculty the chance to attend.

I take full ownership for saying "yes" to giving a talk on social media to a prominent local physicians' group last week...and also for submitting a presentation to STFM that was two weeks ago.

Oh, about the evidence based medicine curriculum here...I knew I'd have to build it as I go.  It'll be easier next year.  But we still need to prepare that 50-minute teaching session that's one week from today, not to mention the talk on hyponatremia that the residents requested for the inpatient service next week.

Meeting with the statistician team tomorrow?  Check.  Need to finish draft of research proposal before then.

Somehow, every spring, things collide like this for me.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure exactly why.  After all, this is the "down" season for most residency faculty: after the match and recruitment season, yet before graduation, new intern orientation, and the transitions of July.

I could have said "no" to most of the above.  I feel an overwhelming need, though, to build relationships here.  I've been in this job for six months, but I still feel like a lost newcomer most of the time.  I need some grounding, some familiarity.  I need to feel like people here understand my skill sets.  Otherwise, opportunities to use them may not materialize.

Blogging has had to fall by the wayside. Having lived through this cycle before, I know that the chaos of late spring will eventually evolve into the easier pace of early summer.  Orientation isn't one of my responsibilities, and July is languid heat and relative calm for me.

Please don't despair, blogosphere.  I'll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading & commenting! I will okay your comment as long as you're not a spammer or a troll. :) Cheers!